Thursday, December 7, 2006

The Best Decision Ever

I was working in the church as an admin staff since I was 19 years old. After we got married we thought of giving ourselves a year or so before we start a family. But the fact that we love to have children of our own caused us to plan having a baby earlier. So in January 2001, I found out that I was pregnant and the baby would be due in September. We were overjoyed! God knows our hearts' desire.

Later, we needed to decide on who would be taking care of the baby... And thanks for the from my pastor's wife, Pastor Wai Lin and a dear sister-in-Christ Auntie Ann, they encouraged me to stay home and take care of my baby full-time and I can say till today, that was one of the best decisions I have made in my life (apart from marrying Danny, hahaha). I also sense the peace of God as I made this commitment even though working in the church is God's call upon my life. I believe being a mother is one of the highest calling a woman can ever have.

God never intends to bless us with kids and just let them grow. Family is God instituted, just like marriage, therefore it is sacred. I am not saying that you should not let other caregiver to nurture your own kids, I am saying if the family can survive on one person's pay check, by all means take care and nurture your kids on your own. It is vital to impart good family values to your children, if you let others do it, you might have to undo a lot of things that the caregivers did...
Your kids are not going to be babies and toddlers all their lives. Their vital years are only till about 6 years of age. And believe me, time flies. Once you have missed it is gone. It is hard work, I know, but worth every bit of it!

I do see the difference in children who are taken care by their mothers and those by other caregivers. I am not saying that if you choose to return to work it is wrong. There are good caregivers out there. It is just that what is more precious than watching your own flesh and blood grow...

I also don't believe in being too busy for God and aspect God to take care of the family. Everything starts in the family. Manners, discipline, respect, how your children relate to people etc... Only when you are able to manage your family well then will you be able to shine for God. What testimony can you show others even when you do so much outside the family, yet the family is crying out for more of your time and 'existence'.

What I am trying to address is, there is a time for everything... do pray and ask God to reveal His perfect time for our lives, and not to miss anything in His time. If now family is His time for you, don't ignore it. He wants you to build a strong and healthy family with Him and not just leave it to Him. Not that He is unable, but it is a journey and a process that He wants to go along with you...

"There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven..."
Eccl. 3:1

No comments: